Installing OpenJDK on a Netbsd Sparc64 Server

I am currently working on a project that involves running the lift framework on a sun sparc64 architecture. Due to limited support from more popular unix distros, I am running NetBSD 64-bit on the system.

Before i can even tackle trying to install lift, I have to be able to install java on this system. I found that OpenJDK is what I should be using. Through all my digging, I can't seem to get a straight answer on compatibility or installation for this specific setup. Also if i am to find a compatible version, what kind of route am I to take in terms of installation (i.e. pkg_add, pksrc or compiling the code myself) Can anyone shine a light on the subject or am I just on a wild goose chase to nowhere?

Take a deep breath. There is no such thing as a package. Computers run on software in files. JAVA runs in user space from files. Put it somewhere up-PATH and when you call java, a shell script in /anywhere/yout/want/jre/bin, it will adjust to the location. I do not know if there is any JVM open source out there, so I expect you need a binary for your CPU and something close to your OS. Might as well get the JDK if you can.