installing FreeBSD

hi everybody

i'm now downloading FreeBSD using anonymous ftp...the problem i'll encounter is that it seems to be a huge archive....

I want just install it over a 8 G disk....how can i manage this?

thanks
regards

You might want to try just the kern and mfsroot floppies and install over the network.

But of course, before even doing that, you'll want to check out the FreeBSD handbook.

Even though I use FreeBSD on a daily basis and have set up many FreeBSD machines, I still use the FreeBSD handbook as a reference, as well as the manual pages.

If you've never installed FreeBSD before, you'll be lost if you don't read the installation manual.

thank u for responding

now i'm just downloading the following from FreeBSD.org :

1- 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso
2- 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
3- 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso
4- 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

these are supposed to be standard files that i just need burning each one on a CD (bootable CDs)....and then proceeding to a "nprmal" guided installation (with gui mode..etc...)....

your advice please...

regards

All you need is 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso. It's less than 300 megs and has everything that you need to get started.

Be sure to read through the FreeBSD handbook available at www.freebsd.org. It is one of the best resources on the 'net when it comes to FreeBSD. www.freebsddiary.com is another good source with examples of problems and their solutions.