Installation flopy Disk

Hi everybody

I have made an installation disk on Unix SCO 5.0.2 5 and 1/4 Floppy Disk. Unfortunately, the disk only recognise SCSI or Tape, How can we make it recognize IDE CDROM?

any ideas? Please tell

Thank you

I think that there was a BTLD diskette for the (ide) CD-ROM driver, and then a bootstring to say which device (primary/secondary, master slave).
Srom=wd(0,0,0) primary master
Srom=wd(0,1,0) primary slave
Srom=wd(1,0,0) secondary master
Srom=wd(1,1,0) secondary slave

All from memory, I no longer have manuals for this release.

1 Like

do you mean something like this ?

boot: defbootstr link=ad320 Sdsk=ad320(0,0,14,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)

if right please explain to me what does it mean. thank you

Means that you want to include the ad320 device driver as a boot time loadable drive, and that the root file system of the installation will be on the first channel of the first controller with a SCSI id of 14, and a logical unit number of zero. The cd rom will be found as the master device on the primary controller.
I thought that you would also have to link the wd cdrom device driver.
I also found an Installation guide manual (320pp) for SCO Internet Faststart version 5.0.2. There are some differences between it and Enterprise, the two most significant being it includes the Netscape Web Server, and is 2 user, not 5 user.

From release notes:
choose SCSI CD-ROM
select wd for ha type
if on primary IDE select 0 for HA#
if on secondary select 1 for HA#
if master 0 for SCSI ID
if slave 1 for SCSI ID
0 for SCSI LUN
0 for SCSI BUS

continue with installation

The ATAPI driver provides support for EIDE by representing the drive as a SCSI device to the operating system.

1 Like

I have experience on installation SCO on the 40GB HDD, it seems the systems does not recognise hard-disk, it says

Warning: hd: no root disk controller

Notice: RAM: No space on device on device 31/50 /ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

after appeared 4 times, it acquired to turn computer off . I have change to old hard disk with space of 1GB, then I got no problems in install SCO open server 5.0.2 at all

Just wondering what is the maximum hard disk capacitor that SCO openserver can support?

Thank you!

Cheers

I am assuming that this is an IDE disk.
The most likely cause is that the disk is not recognized by the CMOS.
Run setup and confirm that the disk is visible, and in native mode.

1 Like