Install solaris 10 (update 10) 0811

I have Solaris 10 initial load from I think 2005 installed. We need to update to latest update on solaris 10 so have download the update 10 (0811).
I will be doing a install from single user mode.... looking at the readme file it states running the installpatchset using switches "--apply-prereq"

Does this have to be completed before running at single user mode ?

Can it actually be run on a running system without any performance issues before running the full load at single user mode ?

my understanding is that i can just run at single user mode and if it has any missing patches it will stop and tell me and then i restart again.

Can someone tell me the correct procedure to follow. I will not be using the live upgrade procedure as i am not familiar with it.

thanks

To upgrade to "update 10" you should use Solaris installation DVD and Live Upgrade. Using pachset isn't really upgrading, as it doesn't introduce any new features, it is just patching existing stuff. Can you post output of

uname -a
cat /etc/release

SunOS salf 5.10 Generic_139555-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC
Assembled 27 October 2008

See above information requested.

The update which is 6 .zip files is the equivalent to the dvd i believe.

Quote from README
"This patchset can be used to patch a system to the same patch lveel as a system that has been installed with,or upgraded to Solaris 10 8/11"

From the same README:

This patchset does not deliver any new packages, so systems that have this
patchset installed will not be able to use new features which depend on new
packages contained in the Solaris 10 8/11 Update. To use such new features, it
is necessary to install or upgrade a system using the Solaris 10 8/11 Update
install media.

1 Like