Install Solaris 10 through network

Hi all,

I got a Fujitsu P650 server running on Solaris 9 and we are going to re-install Solaris 10 . W have a build server in a different IP segment. So we setup a boot server and /etc/ethers and /etc/bootparams are all updated. When I issue

boot net -install,

I'm getting the following error

Executing last command: boot net -install
Boot device: /pci@87,4000/network@1,1 File and args: -install
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
Requesting Ethernet address for: 10.171.15.239
panic - boot: Could not mount filesystem.
Program terminated

I don't understand why its taking the IP (10.171.15.239) which is not found in our DNS.
Can someone help

Thank

Hi,

Check the contents of the bootparam file on the boot server to ensure you have the right hostname / ip or mount names.

Then ensure that the config server, where the media is being mouted / nfs'ed is actually serving out the mounts i.e. check the /etc/dfs/dfstab file / shareall, and what the mount names / directory structure is.

Problem sounds something to do with the above. Syntax / spelling issue.

Good luck.

SBK

The command is "boot net - install" , not "boot net -install" , there is a space after the dash.

• you mentioned that your build server is "in a different IP segment" , see...
    -- RARP will only work within the same subnet ;
    in other words, RARP does not span or cross subnet boundaries, and is not routeable ;

• if your build server is in the same subnet as the target box, then netboot will work fine ;

• but if you absolutely need to use a build server from another subnet, then you'll have to use DHCP in yout BOOTPARAMS ;

good luck, and success !
alexandre botao