Install Linux on remote server from Windows PC

I am very new with servers and have never used Linux. The server I'm looking at is not currently connected to anything, and I wish to install Linux on this server. It doesn't have a monitor (no video card) or keyboard. It does have a DVD. Can I communicate with that server using a Windows PC to start the process of installing Linux?

Or is there another method for communicating with the server to get the OS installed? Sorry for the extremely simple questions. Id appreciate help if someone doesn't mind going down to basics with me.:confused:

Thank you ahead of time.

If that server has some kind of built-in remote management capability (like HP's Integrated Lights Out or Dell's Remote Access Controller): yes, it's possible.

Otherwise, most distributions support setup via SSH. You'll have to attach at least a monitor and keyboard for a short while, and as soon as SSH access is possible you can continue the setup over the network.

Thank you, I'll try that. So I need to add a video card first, right? This was a custom built server, so there is nothing on the drive yet.

The drive is not the relevant part. The concept pludi discussed was about an integrated lights out controller, that is built onto the machine that allows direct remote administration similar to HP's ILO or Dell's DRAC.

To my knowledge, when a server is build an ip address should be assigned to it by default. You can get the default ip address from the vendor (Or it should be specified along with the default host name printed on a tag tied on the front or stuck on the top part of the balde).

You can use this ipaddress / host name to connect through SSH. Once you are able to connect to the system, you can change the default hostname and ipaddress.

A bare system will have no IP address. If you are talking about the management port, that will often have a default IP address or in some cases, require a serial connection to get working.

In order to build a machine remotely, normally one configures a TFTP server for PXE, a DHCP server to handle the bootp and IP address hand out and an NFS or HTTP(S) type transfer agent to allow the files to be transmitted.

What I was going to do is order a static IP from my service provider, and then name the server. I hope that is the right way to think about this process. This is a custom built machine, so there isn't a vendor, perse. I don't know what a "balde" is, please do tell.

The modem itself should have an assigned IP right? Would I use the same IP reference for the server? This all is looking more compicated than I thought it would be, but I'm ready to master this little piece of the puzzle anyway, with some help. Thanx so much.

---------- Post updated at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:25 AM ----------

So it would be smart to put this on a local network first to get it up and going, and then think about connecting it with it's own static IP? I'm going to have to look up all those acronyms and get back on that, because I don't know what they mean. I'll be back. :eek:

Since you're just starting out with Linux, I'd suggest you start with a local server. That way you can try different things, even possibly fatal commands, and still easily reset the server. If you setup a remote machine and break it, without remote administration you'll have to call the remote sites administration staff and ask them to reset the server, which usually costs extra.

Also, servers usually aren't connected with a modem, but a run-of-the-mill NIC, connected to the Hosting Service Providers network.

I suggest you do a bit more reading before doing something that could potentially leave your box a slave to a cracker that infests/infects the rest of the world with bots/spam.

Yes, Linux can be pwned in a short while if left to a weak configuration and exposed to the internet.

I'd suggest you get comfortable with it first, perhaps in a virtual environment like VMware or Virtualbox.

Here's what I'd suggest when you want to build it out:

A DHCP server that can handle BOOTP.
A TFTP server
An HTTP(S) server for the install files

Read up on a PXE install for a linux server. What you would do is find out the MAC address of the network card, and then boot the server over the network and install that way.

You could, if you wish, boot it from a DVD or CD and then point its installer to a network share running NFS or FTP or HTTP(S). I would not expose a server to the internet directly unless you know exactly what you are doing. You should have a NAT and firewall set up so that you can do port redirection if you need any services from that server on external networks and I would suggest you look into port knocking for that too.