install jre in local zone

How can I install a new version of jre on a local zone? Since /usr is not writable in a local zone)? pls advise

solaris10 sparc

---------- Post updated at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:34 PM ----------

jdk6 i mean

you need a full root zone for that and you are running on a sparse root zone. check your config and delete the inherit package dirs and reinstall the zone (you will need a lot more space!).

A JRE can be installed anywhere, eg. /opt/jdk. Just set your PATH, JAVA_HOME or whatever your application uses to point to the alternate JRE.

I already installed the JDK 6

bash-3.00# echo $JAVA_HOME
/opt/jdk1.6.0_23
bash-3.00# java -version
java version "1.5.0_26"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_26-b03, mixed mode)

how can I point it to the alternate java? I could not locate the alternatives though. thanks

PATH=/opt/jdk1.6.0_23/bin:$PATH

i tried this and it worked. however when I logged in again on another window, i still see the old version. what can I do to take this into effect? thanks

---------- Post updated at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:04 AM ----------

ok no need. i will just change the java version on the global zone :slight_smile: thanks for the help

One of /etc/default/login or /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile or $HOME/.bash_profile.

Sure, that was the idea of sparse zones.