Install AIX , do i need hmc console

Hi,

For installing aix on power series , do i need to install hmc first?
or i can connect hmc after?

Rgs,

You need a HMC to manipulate a managed system (the hardware node). If you plan to run your system in full-partition-mode or not partitioned at all or if you do not need the redundancy features of multiple VIOS servers you do not need a HMC.

If you plan on running your hardware partitioned you will either need a HMC or IVM, but: be careful, check your license status.

If you plan to have a partitioned system, before you can install any AIX LPAR you need to isntall the VIOS and before this you need to customize your managed system (for which either IVM or HMC is necessary).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

i will need partition, so i need hmc.
should i install hmc first? and then partitions the system via hmc?

do you know some good tutorial for hmc install?

thanks

I install the HMC first, and configure it, this way, when you connect your managed system to the network, the HMC will search and connect to the managed system providing its in a 'private' network (for other set ups, read the redbook I provided below). From here on, you can then start partitioning your LPARS. If you are going to have VIO LPARS, create them first.
There is much more to just installing a HMC, and VIOS and LPARS. You definitely need more understanding about the configuration, virutalisation, set up etc.

You could read more about installing, configuring and managing your HMC with this redbook.

thanks for the book , i'm really on it.

about install and configuring the VIOS server , can you give me some tips , if you have any book or good site to suguest i would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

thanks

Have a look at IBMs "Redbook" series, they are usually very well written and quite exhaustive.

Specifically installing a VIOS: consider doing it via a NIM server. See the man page of the "installios" command, but you might want to read up about virtualisation concepts from IBM first.

Basically, a VIOS is heavily customized AIX with a lot of added commands and specialized middleware to fulfill its purpose. Because it comes from a time when IBM was "appliance-crazy", you can't administrate it like any other machine but have to learn other - similar, but different - commands to do what you can do on any other system.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I had a very bad experience with a server partitioned with IVM, so running VIO natively and the user LPARs as guests. It all worked fine until we set up an HMC to manage it instead. If you have the option, go HMC first, or better still remote-redundant HMCs, so you have management from a remote site if you need it. Consider if you have a shutdown and your local HMC does not fire up, how would you start your server, the VIO servers and the user LPARs?

VIO servers can be great if used for the right purpose, i.e. sharing hardware and reducing the likelihood that a single failure will stop your operation. Others like plain LPARs based on available hardware. They may be slightly faster, but they are constrained by the physical configuration and resources may be allocated on a per-controller basis making it a little more difficult.

Robin

1 Like

Very good advice! If you consider using a HMC at all you definitely should install the HMC first and then the VIOS. Only then create the LPARs.

If you do not have one, you may even start with a NIM server as the first LPAR, because it makes life a lot easier when installing the other LPARs.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like