Increasing size of Root Partition

Dear all, How can we increase the space for the root partition, ensuring that there is no loss of data in Solaris 9. How can the growfs command be utilized in this case.

Thanks.

It isn't just the growfs command that you need to worry about. You also have to look at increasing the size of the disk slice that holds /. Do you have free blocks on the disk following the slice that holds /? I don't think you will.

Quite a bit also depends on whether you are using any volume manager (eg, solstice) or not.

Perhaps you could give us more info (like a prtvtoc output)?

must it be done online or can the mashine go down for the work? do you have a second disk in your system? if so, you should maybe use "live-upgrade" (man lu) to make a new disk with the new layout and have everything bach with just ONE reboot...

hth,
DN2

do you have metadevices ? I mean did you create a metadb ?

Hi,

yeah whats the next step after creating metadevices. I used metainit to create the devices.

I think you have to decrease swap (if it's next partition), to give the space for root to grow.
But basically slices and SVM are a cranky old disk config method.

the command is :

#metattach
#growfs

But as far as I know seems not possible extension of root , if you check the growfs command:

# man growfs

Limitations:
---
When there is a local swap file
in the target file system. When the file system is root (/),
/usr, or swap.
---
P.S.
you can use use metaroot for root mirroring and related files updates..

#metaroot dX0 (mirror you ve to create)

but I think it does not mean extend root just mirroring to make robust it.

so you have to steal from swap space or
need more than deduction of swap u r forced to go to backup and reinstall as far as i know...

So we can transfer the move the free space from SWAP partition to root....u may be knowing the we can increase the size of swap... so firstly we just increase the swap size and then we add that part to root. is that possible... what the procedure for that...