Increasing Root File Partition

Dear all ,

We have a root partition ( / ) in linux which has a very less space . And we need to increase the size of the root partition . There are no space in other file systems , so that i can take it from there and increase it.

Just wanted to know if we get some SAN space , can we increase the size of the root partition by taking some space from SAN.

And also let us know is it wise to do it like this.

For getting a new hard disk it will take a lot of months.

Thanks and Regards,
Rj

Without seeing the directory structure of your disk, I don't think your question can be answered. One solution would be to copy the data from a directory branch to another file system, and then mount that file system to the directory.

But - be very careful when tinkering with file systems, especially the root file system. It can result in your computer being inaccessible/unbootable.

I have recently split a root filesystem that was defined as 'the full disk' on RHEL 6 to separate off /var, /usr, /tmp & /home and it's not for the faint-hearted, even though it was all LVM. You don't tell us much about what disk you have available, volume groups or where the space issue is. Can you share a little more information?

Could you try something like:-

cd /
du -kx .|sort -n

The output should show you where the space is being used by directory tree. The figures are cumulative, so you can move down the various high level directories listed with large allocations and run the du again to try to find a culprit along with ls -l | sort -nk 5 to list the files in size order.

Robin