Increase root partition by moving starting cylinder

I am trying to expand the root partition on Solaris 10. I can expand root partition using format/partition command, but usually increasing cylinders on partition is done on back end. In this case I would have to expand from the front end following the table below, meaning I would have to move the starting cylinder. My concern is if moving the starting cylinder of root will cause some problems with Solaris. Cylinders 526-54422 seem to unallocated and should be able to use. I was thinking if I can move the starting cylinder and increase it then I can use growfs command on root partition to expand the size.

Current partition table (original):
Total disk cylinders available: 60797 + 2 (reserved cylinders)

Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders         Size            Blocks
  0       root    wm   54423 - 60796       48.83GB    (6374/0/0)  102398310
  1       swap    wu       3 -   525        4.01GB    (523/0/0)     8401995
  2     backup    wm       0 - 60796      465.73GB    (60797/0/0) 976703805
  3 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)             0
  4 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)             0
  5 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)             0
  6 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)             0
  7 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)             0
  8       boot    wu       0 -     0        7.84MB    (1/0/0)         16065
  9 alternates    wu       1 -     2       15.69MB    (2/0/0)         32130

I guess my main question is if moving starting cylinder of my root partition be harmful to the system even though I have plenty of unallocated space to use.

The man page for growfs states:

The following con-
     ditions  prevent  you from expanding file systems: When acct
     is activated and the accounting file is on the  target  dev-
     ice.  When  C2 security is activated and the logging file is
     on the target file system. When there is a local  swap  file
     in the target file system. When the file system is root (/),
     /usr, or swap.

Since you are talking about root, I think you're in trouble right there. But growfs is for ufs filesystems. I assume you have a ufs root? If it's zfs then I will have to defer to someone else. I have never used zfs.

Yes, it is ufs root. I've only created slices or partitions on a device, but it would seem that expanding the root and using growfs would be a solution only if moving the starting root partition was valid option. I've read others successfully doing so, but my situation may be different. If all else I guess I could just make another slice of a partition, but then that would require me to move directories/files over and renaming.

I think you can create a new partition on that disk and do a live upgrade that uses the new partition as its root disk.

man live_upgrade

Perhaps adding a slice and creating a new partition mount might be the safer alternative. I was hoping to expand root, but not at the risk of jeapordizing the system. Seems like a waste of space that is not used just sitting there.

how about a backup of your system with a flasharchive and a "new" install from the flasharchive with a new filesystem layout?

This won't work as growfs can only expand a file system if space is added at the end of it, not before.
As you have plenty of free space available, you can simply create a ~400 GB slice 3, then dump/restore slice 0 to it, then make s3 your boot partition.

Ok that sounds like an alternative option. I'll look into that. I assume you mean ufsdump and ufsrestore.

Indeed.

@mjminal,

I had increase the root file system on solaris 10.. without a pain. Its the utility which is available to increase the cylinder starting/ending count.

#format,
then go for p(for print)
print>p (for print again),

Now select the slice number, which will be 0
go ahead to specify the cylinder end count, which results in increasing the cylinder count which reflects on the '/' overall size being increased.

Pls let me knw if this worked for you, it did for me..

@solaris040:

• What you suggest isn't enough to increase the root file system. You are missing the growfs command.
  • It doesn't apply to the OP case as increasing the cylinder count will grow slice 0 by its ending, not its beginning.

The growfs would help if we are adding an additional memory to the root.

What I was lookin at is to have the space available within the disk to be added to root by increasing that count.

may be ur to loose ur file system