improving my script

Hi;

I want to access our customer database to retreive all clients that have as language index 2 or 3 and take their client number.
My input is a file containing all client numbers.
i access the data base using a function call "scpshow". The total number of clients i want to scan is 400 000 clients.

I tried this script using 100 subscriber it took 40 sec, and around 7% cpu time.

how can i improve my script to make it faster (IF it can ever be done).

#! /usr/bin
date
for sub in `cat /tmp/sublist `
do
lang=0
lang=`/IN/scp/test/scpshow/scpshow ul50 $sub | grep 'usr_int\[23\]' | awk '{print $2}'`

if [ $lang -eq 2 ] || [ $lang -eq 3 ];
then echo $sub >> /tmp/target
fi
done
date
cut -c 16-26 /tmp/target >> /tmp/final

thanks for your fast reply.

Replacing

for sub in `cat /tmp/sublist `
do
done

with

while read sub
do
done < /tmp/sublist

may well speed up the processing of the loop and avoid a useless use of cat....

If you're processing 400,000 records it's going to be slow whatever you do - you'd be better off writing it in C if you'll be running it often.

Cheers
ZB

What does the output from scpshow look like? And what shell are you really using? #!/usr/bin won't work.

the output is C300090B901900096393111222

i am calling the script #> ksh scritpname and it works...

You need to make that first line:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

If the output of "scpshow ul50 $sub" is:
C300090B901900096393111222

then I'm confused how the pipeline works. That grep is not going to match anything. And there is no 2nd field for awk to print.

The output of scpshow is
usr_int[0] 0
usr_int[1] 9
usr_int[23] 1
usr_int[24] 3
i need to check the value of usr_int[23] if it is 2 or 3 i have to take stor the Sub. number.

I call scpshow in following way
>scpshow C300090B901900096393123345 <--"sub. numer"
and the output is the full profile of this specific sub (shown above) and i need to get all subs whose usr_int[23] =2 or 3.
the list of all sub. numbers is stored in the file "sublist". around 400,000 sub.

The fastest script would be:

#! /usr/bin/ksh
exec < sublist
while read sub ; do
        /path/to/scpshow  ul50 $sub | while read string lang ; do
                  [[ $string = 'usr_int[23]' ]]  && break
        done
        [[ $lang = $2 || $lang = 3 ]] && echo $sub >> /tmp/target
done
exit 0

This saves an awk and a grep for each iteration of the loop. You are still launching a scpshow process for each iteration of the loop. Unless scpshow can work with multiple subs at once, this can't be avoided.