ILOM to unix host

Nothing happens - Its just looks hung , I might have pressed enter may be 100 times ...

what next :frowning: ?

Today I could see that after executing start /SP/console - something started happening ... some processes and some initializing... after may be around 2 minutes... and after asking about starting types:

Solaris
Solaris serial console ttya
Solaris seial console ttyb

I have tried with all three options... But just a cursor is visible and host is still not connecting!!!

Please advice.

ok.
Let's do this from the beginning.

reset the iLOM.

-> reset /SP

This will kick you out.
Wait ~30 seconds.
Log back in.
Reset the host.

-> reset /SYS 

Switch to the system console

-> start /SP/console

Do you get to an ok prompt, a small menu with 3 options, or a login prompt?

Hello,

As I face exactly the same than Panchpan's one, I can answer your question, System Shock :
I did the two reset, and then started the console. What I face is the boot sequence of the machine, which seems to be quite normal.

Once system has finished booting, I stil have no access to nothing. I quitted console with 'ESC (' sequence, and then I got the ILOM prompt : ->

Restarting the console through "start /SP/console" stil gives the same effect :

-> start /SP/console
Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y

Serial console started.  To stop, type ESC (

Keyboard seems to be inactive (seems, because if I hit the sequence key again, I return systematically to ALOM without any problem). I can type whatever I want, it does not prints to screen, nor show any actions.

I checked that system is up, and it is, but I still cannot access to console.

If you have any new idea that could be apply to be able to log into console mode, please do not hesitate.

Use the below flow and the problem will be resolved

-> stop -f /SYS
Are you sure you want to immediately stop /SYS (y/n)? y
Stopping /SYS immediately

-> start /SYS
Are you sure you want to start /SYS (y/n)? y
Starting /SYS

-> start /SP/console
Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y

Please keep us updated IF the issue still persists?

Thanks for the tip, but even forcing immediate stop does not lead to a correct console.... :frowning:

Any other clue ? Anything I could test ?

may be you are not logged into ILOM with right admin privileges - a normal ILOM user wont be able to help here

Hi,

I updated to firmware 2.0.2.1 (last version as far as I could see), but this did not change anything.

Regarding the rights, there is no user but the ones created by default, so I fear this is not a "simple" rights problem.

I'm still looking for the idea that would fix this problem...

Thanks for the help anyway !

I have similar problem and I have impression that it is relaed to solaris 10 and not to console. I cna see all boot process but once when it ready to go to PXE boot or or OS boot it frooze.

firmware update is a partial solution. for the console hanging case, recommended from SUN to use the 08/05 verison of the OS for installation. If possible update the VGA driver.
If you hard reset the system, dun expect the console to show up immediately. Type start /SP/console -> y . then wait....there is problems reported that some of these systems responding too slowly. let us see what's happening.

need to set eeprom console setting to ttya on X86

eeprom console=ttya