Ignite recovery issue.

On one of the Hpvm server when I try to do the ignite recovery it aborts after recovering only 30 % of the archive. I do not have any other archive backup besides this.

Even after restoring the 30 archive I could see that I am able to login to that server althoug ssh and other functionalities are not working. The network services are also up.

If I do a normal restore of / area would the system be functional ? Kindly provide you inputs.

Yes, I think so.

If you can get the OS and the network up, then that's great.

Where are your non-OS backups? You should be able to restore from them too, assuming that if you have a backup client involved that it is behaving normally too. Your vendor may need to guide you through reinstallation if it's not.

You would be wise to check that ALL your filesystems are mounted ready for the restores.

What do you think is missing from /? What other filesystems do you have to put back?

Robin

1 Like

Thanks

/var didn't have complete data which I restored. However, when I do ssh from other servers I get the below error:

All the other filesystem looks ok.

Oct 14 10:19:28   sshd[8250]: error: openpty: No such file or directory
Oct 14 10:19:28   sshd[8250]: error: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

---------- Post updated at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:22 AM ----------

I tried creating the pts and pty files but that didn't resolve the issue.

Ignite-UX uses pax after having installed the critical OS part... have you tried to read your archive using pax on another server to see what you have after 30%, does it continue in its reading or not.. and to the end etc... is /var full? restoring only / will give only most of the OS devices and basic system stuff, for it to be a minimum functional you would need at least /var (yes...) and /usr ( otherwise no ksh etc... ) hoping you have no openssl libs stuff in /opt with links to /usr and not trying to go multi-user...

1 Like

I restored /var and /opt area. The server comes up fine. It is a virtual server, the issue now is when I try to do sudo ssh <server-name" from the host. it give error:

Host:/=> sudo ssh client
Password:
PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

The errors in console of client.

HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 2459719568 unlimited-user license

ct 18 13:25:37  sshd[12487]: error: openpty: No such file or directory
Oct 18 13:25:37 sshd[12487]: error: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

Google for the error message (in quotes) and HP-UX. It yields
this link i.e. run the suggested command

insf -d pty

and hopefully it will rebuild /etc/pty/ and /etc/pty*.

1 Like

I have already tried that, I have also checked the kernel parameter and checkec kcusage paramter as well all looks ok. Even the server is rebooted.

What do you get when you do

ls -ld /dev/ptmx /dev/pts /dev/pty /dev/ptym /dev/tty
ls -l /dev/pts

?

1 Like

/dev/ptmx file was missing the same was restored and the issue is resolved now. Thanks all for your valuble inputs. Thanks to MadeInGermany for taking out time to assist in getting this resolved.