Idle curiousity about memory usage

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

So... I'm going to try to fit this into the template but it'll be a little weird, since this is more of a random question on my part than a homework question, but I thought I had better include it here since it's directly relevant to my homework.

I was just wondering what you can tell from the memory usage. We had a final project to do that involved running a program on the school server. I ran top and noticed that my group's memory usage was around 6.3% and the other group's was only 0.7%. I'm assuming this means we wrote a clunkier program, but since I'm coming from a linguistics background and not Comp Sci I don't really trust my instincts on this.

1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

I used top.... I guess I don't really have any other relevant info for this section.

1. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

I googled memory usage, haha. So far, I've found out a lot of really interesting information, but nothing that tells me if this means I wrote an inefficient program.

1. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, USA.
Prof - Hahn Koo
course - ling 165 LING165