Identifying Underlying Physical Core Count - AIX

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with a query I had. Is there a query to identify the total processor core count of the physical AIX box from which I am running 4 LPARs. I have run the lscfg, lparstat-i and lsdev -Cc processor commands however they just show me the cores assigned to that Lpar and not the total value of the physical box.

Is there a query that can collect this information? I know I can send the serial number of the box back to IBM but I was wondering if there is something I can do from here.

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Nate

You can get that information from the HMC. Here is a very nice compilation of very helpful commands which includes CPU information:

AIX for System Administrators

The page is generally very very good.
From there this would be what you are looking for, if I am correct:

lshwres -r proc -m <managedsysname> --level sys

Hi Zaxxon, thanks for your response. Greatly appreciated!

So I guess the command

monhmc -r proc -n 0

from the HMC console should be the right one?

Thanks,
Nate

No, I have written which command I would use. Also please use code tags when you post code, data or logs, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for that zaxxon, will use the code tag next time.

---------- Post updated at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:41 AM ----------

Just tried to run this command line and it has not worked as I am running Power5 and not Power7, any other ideas would be much appreciated!

The command provided by zaxxon, will work, can you paste the output?

Also there is another way to know the INSTALLED CPUS (know this will give you total CPU installed in the system, but NOT the configurable), this command you can run from with in any AIX LPAR.

lscfg -vp | grep WAY
      6 WAY  PROC CUOD:
      6 WAY  PROC CUOD:
      6 WAY  PROC CUOD:
      6 WAY  PROC CUOD:
Looking at the output I can say I have 24 core (CPUS), they are 6 CPUs per CHIP,  so 6x4=24. 
Note: As I mentioned above this will give you only Installed CPU and NOT configurable.

To know the configurable CPUs, you can run lshwres command provided by zaxxon.

1 Like

Thanks for the response IBMtech. When I try to run the query it states that lshwres was not found.

I have already collected the lscfg outputs as you described however as discussed I am trying to find the configurable CPUs and not the installed.

Really appreciate your help, thanks.

Hmmm,
How about running this

lparstat -i | egrep "Maximum Physical CPUs in system|Active Physical CPUs in system"

This will give you Total CPUs on the Manage System and also Active (Configurable) CPUs

Thanks for this ibmtech. I will give it a try now.

on the HMC:

lshwres -r proc -m <managed server> --level sys -F configurable_sys_proc_units