IBM S822 SSD install not working?

Iv looked around HMC and googled alot and stuff but Still I cant make my SSDs being detected on the Machine.
even tried to connect a PCIe Card for NVME

What type/make/model/capacity of SSD are they?

Interface type?

2 Likes

have you done any background research ?

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/power8/8284-22A?topic=system-disk-drives-solid-state-drives

2 Likes

Yes I did but It didnt somehow Worked
EDIT: btw i have no hdd/ssd cage (hotswappable ones) and i think that may be the issue...
btw sorry for all these rookie questions... I have tried looking the machine details and Its hard for me because im really new to this
Iv asked this in multiple forums (korean forums) and somehow cannot find any some useful infomation/..

You didn't answer my previous question regarding the make/model/type of SSD that you are trying to install.

There are things to check on regarding this:

1. The IBM on-board disk controller is SAS and although most such controllers are backward compatible to SATA, any SATA device needs to be fast, e.g. 5Gb/s or faster.
  2. If the IBM has history where the port you are attaching to was previously configured as part of a disk array, then such a configuration needs to be deleted first, otherwise the IBM is expecting to see a different disk drive on that port.
1 Like

oh sorry for that and also thanks for the help
im currently using a Samsung 120GB ssd and interface type of Sata

Edit
im now trying to network boot/using iSCSI on a windows server.
How do i / from where can i add my ISCSI as a boot option

Probably the SATA interface is too slow. You could try a SAS SSD like this one:

If you put a SAS disk drive on that controller port does it see it? That would verify that the controller port is ok.

SAS is much faster than SATA and also faster than SSD for that matter.

1 Like

so a 2.5inch disk is what i should get first.
also i need a hdd caddy from IBM right?

EDIT: i read the redbooks again.
they never said "SATA" drives are supported or even talked about SATA HDDs
my bad

I was just pointing out that you can get SAS SSD drives thereby avoiding any backward compatibility issues with SATA. Yes, if you want to fit a 2.5" form factor, you will likely need an adapter to use a 3.5" slot. Depending on the capacity you need, you could get a 3.5" SSD.