IBM Hardware question

I am looking to buy a 7044 - either a 170 or 270.
From what I can find on web searchs the 170 is NOT upgradable to more that one CPU? Is that correct?
Can I upgrade the planer on a 170 to a 270 to support multiple CPU's?
Does anyone have any other suggestion for AIX hardware?

The 44p Model 170 is a 1-CPU (POWER3-II) machine. You cann have 334MHz and 400MHz processors. The size of RAM is 256MB-2GB over a 128bit bus.

There is a "RS/6000 7044 Model 170 Technical Overview and Introduction" handbook, for instance here.

The machine is quite good as long as you do not need to install anything beyond AIX 5.1 (and maybe 5.2, i'm not sure about this), although it is a 64-bit-machine.

A (modern) alternative would be the Intellistations series, which are also low-priced deskside workstations designed for single-user purposes.

Hope this helps.

bakunin

Thank you bakunin for your reply.
I read the doc referenced last night in searching for info on this machine, I can not find a picture of the mobo on the 270 to compare to the picture in the doc you provided. I don't want to spend over 600 on this, so I am very limited on what I can get. I would like to get the most HW for my dollar.

Thanks

hello,

i have a 44p Model 170 and can run aix 5.3 on it. you won't be able to run aix 6 (power 4 and up). i bought mine on ebay about a year ago and paid $300 including shipping. what do you plan to do with a 44p? learning purposes?

I currently have a 43p, but it will not support 64-bit. My main reason for the purchase is running 64-bit and TSM 5.5 on my home network. At work we run multiple lpars, mpars, & vpars. So I want to stay up to date with AIX since I support the SAN & TSM infrastructure.

Cool, I'm currently running TSM server 5.2 on my home network.