IBM AIX and QEMU Emulator?

Hi friends,
I am a UNIX lover. I have tried several unix flavors including linux, solaris(x86) and FreeBSD, all these are the unices which can be installed on x86 hardware. Now to use the IBM AIX, I searched and googled alot, finally I came across QEME, which emulates the PowerPC platorm to turn AIX on. I have access to an IBM AIX 6.1 DVD. I have configured QEMU with the following details

Machine Type:- PowerPC PREP Platform
CPU Type:- 64bit
CPU MODEL:- PowerPC 750
No of CPU's:- 1
Operating System:- PowerPC
Memory:- 1000 MB
Firstboot device:- DVD ROM image

Now when I start the machine, I see the following messages

Welcome to OpenBios v1.0 built on July 5 2009 17:36

o  >

And when I type "help", I see

Enter 'help command-name or 'help category-name for more help
(Use ONLY first word of a category description)
Examples: help select -or- help line
Categories:
boot (Load and execute a client program)
diag (Diagnostic routines)
ok
1  >

And when I type "help boot" I see,

boot [<device-specifier>:<device-arguments>] [boot-arguments]
Examples:
boot                   Default boot <values specified in nvram variables]
boot disk1:a         Boot from disk1 partition a
boot hd:1,\boot\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1
ok
1 >

That's all the data that I can grab from this complicated bootmenu for you.
So friends, do u have any idea for me how to get this machine booting from the AIX DVD image, and install AIX?
Looking forward to your lovely and helpful replies.

Thanks in advance!

AIX will only install on an IBM machine.

Could you please have a look at this, this guy has installed AIX on a virtual machine!
QEMU Official OS Support List - View Screenshots

I never been exposed to QEMU but if this screenshot is the only way to prove that is QEMU able to run AIX , with no more proves that would be some sort of jokes.

Ok forget about QEMU for a while, could you atleast tell me whether you have been exposed to such a bios menu? And could you please help me how to boot this virtual computer from the bootable cd-rom? Maybe it would work with AIX, who knows, it is a worth a try, don't you think so?

It's like OpenBoot on SPARC Systems
I'm not sure sure what exactly should be entered.
Try out
boot cdrom
and see what comes next

if you read what the guy submitted he says the kernel would not boot. Sounds like a cool project but don't hold your breath.

AIX only accepts POWER and Itanium (very limited) chips :slight_smile:

And the Itanium was only supported on AIX 5.1 - if you can even find a copy of the AIX 5.1 Itanium install media these days...

I had a look and this is a quote (re: AIX 6.1) from the web address you gave us. I have marked the relevant parts for you:

Seems like they are in early alpha stadium with their development and what you got is probably as good as it will get per these days.

I hope this helps.

bakunin