I want to become a System Administrator

Has anyone got any advice on how I can get a job as a Unix/Solaris system administrator?

My current job is supporting an application that runs on Solaris servers.

I have very minimal Solaris/Unix skills but would like to expand on them with the aim of getting a junior sys admin role. I have access to the servers running Solaris so can get some hands on experience but am not sure how to gain more experience and knowledge.

Eventually I would like to work in the financial sector as a sys admin. That is my dream :slight_smile:

Any advice would be great.

I'm currently living and working in London if that is of use.

Thanks.

Hi Sepia,

For becoming Solaris admin, you need to do course of SA1,SA2,SA3...etc.

In SA1--> You will find all solaris os basic funda, filesystem structure..which

is Very imp., then user handling, printer configuration..etc.

In SA2, you will find basic level of networking concepts, configuring services...etc

So either you join the course OR prepare yourself with the help of books and

the system and one more important is 'use this website if you face any kind of

problem'.....I perticularly experienced that this website(forum) is very very good..

get any help immediately......thanks to the creator and moderator of this Forum....

A lot information I will give you later on......So welcome to 'Unix admin' community...

Regards,
Jagdish
( INDIA )

Thanks for your reply.

I have had a google for SA1 etc and but didn't really find anything.

Do you have any links or more information?

Thank you.

Hi,

SA1 means Solaris Administration part-1...etc.....

If you know Linux from the scratch....then you can easily

understand Solaris administration ......

For more help, please refer following 2-websites:

Solaris 10 System Administrator Collection and

Solaris Advanced System Administrator's Guide, Second Edition:Table of Contents

Regards,
Jagdish

I have similar interests for the future - when I can work or study again (sickness... legit, unlike most)

I actually came here to make a post like this but saw this thread and figured it'd be more practical to simply expand on it.

I only have experience with fedora core 6 and linux redhat 7-9, needless to say it doesn't go far.

I can't afford the courses/books, so where should I begin in my journey to learn what is necessary?

Thanks for advice.