I want to be a white-hat hacker!

HI,

i want to be a white hacker(those who use their skills in ethical hacking)

for that what all languages do i need to know

i am working in an IT company and its paying me well, i just want to learn it because it has always attracted me..i know c,c++,shell,little bit html what else do i need to know?? plz help

thanx in advance
shekhar:confused:

Most white hackers I know are gifted in c and shell programming. They also do perl programming from time to time. The thing they know most about is internetworking and programming seems to be more of a peripheral advantage.

Do you mean an expert in penetration testing, or do you mean a software/hardware experimenter?

I believe you mean "white-hat" hacker. heh

yes i i am also into networking and system administration...i am new in d company so various training are also scheduled for me in which they will teach me perl and python also...what i basically want to know is : "do i also need to learn JAVA .DOT NET etc for that"

---------- Post updated at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:09 PM ----------

@corona...i meant system and security administrator who knows the hacking so as to save his company from hackers attack

For a pen tester knowledge of programming languages is rather a minor point, as they are used mostly to glue together various tasks or automate others. More important is a good knowledge of networking protocols (IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP, SMTP, ...), how instructions are executed (regardless of the language it's written in), how process memory is organized (stack, heap, ...), and how to use and combine the tools already available (nmap, netcat, tcpdump, metaspl0it, various intercepting proxies, ...)

1 Like

Thanks, man! You are right. ...you meant basic knowledge of languages and deep knowledge of networking protocols and tools ?

Exucuse me, but if you work like a programmer you must know what assembler is. You don't to know how to program assembler but if you do debbuging than you must know as instructions.
Networking is just one small piece of puzzle, you must know computer arhitecture, for the first step google "Von Neuman and Harward achitecture" , then learn about computer logical devices like XOR, NOT etc. After that buy dragon book to learn how compliler works . Sit down and learn, learn, learn ....

1 Like

these are the things that you need to know if you want to be called an engineer :D...we are talking about high level of ethical hacking so having know these basic facts , my question was what programming languages (aprt from shell,perl,c,c+) one should know ?:)..

i meant these are the basic things , u must know atleast to be called an engineer

Hackers are crayz engineers. They must know mattery better than avarage engineer.

yes ..that's right!:b:

I have not tried this course (yet) by myself but it seems to be very practical:

Online BackTrack Security Training by Offensive Security.

Of course you need to read read and read. As web developer and sys admin I would like to learn hacking mainly to protect my server and web apps and I think it is better get some training otherwise you/I can get lost in some many topics and fields.

Yeah... Try BackTrack... You should see few of their video's...
I am running BT5... an ubuntu derivative by these guys... they have quite a few tools to start you off...

--ahamed

1 Like

white-hat hacker
(Check the fourth result (Wikipedia) and the topics discussed on answers.yahoo.com (fifth result))

SCNR :wink:

Btw. learn English and it's grammar, start to write "I" instead of "i" and so on...

No offense meant! :b: