I can't login to any new FTP accounts

I have a website that I use sftp to connect to the root account. I am able to connect to it with

sftp root@domain

However, when I create a new user, and try to login with this account, it says permission is denied.

I have already checked with my provider, and tech support said they can login to the new account with the password without any issues.

I've tried deleting the account, creating new ones, increasing the available disk space, and I am able to login to the root account with ftp and lftp too. Checked the permissions of the user's directory=755, so I don't think the problem is there. I use cpanel on my website but I don't think it's a problem with the site software because, like I said, I spent over an hour with live chat support last night and they say my ftp accounts are working for them.

Could it be some configuration file my sftp program is using? Maybe I don't have it configured properly for these other accounts or it's not adding the required info when I attempt to? I read about /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts file but I don't have that file. Just the ssh_config.

Any ideas? - thx:wall:

ssh is very fussy about permissions on .ssh dirs and files.

Yeah that's why I checked it out and the permissions are the same as the other account I am able to log into. Thx tho! Any other ideas?

Quite a lot of systems disable root logins over ssh/scp/sftp entirely, like mine.

$ grep PermitRoot /etc/ssh/sshd_config
PermitRootLogin no
$

Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear - I AM able to login with my root account, I AM NOT able to login with any new accounts....thought I explained that all clearly :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you run in verbose? The ssh commands are very specific about progress in verbose. (The title is a misnomer, as sftp only has much of the traditional FTP command dialog user interface, and is substantially different under the skin. FTP itself is so diverse some FTP tools like ws_ftp have a flavor detector.)

Yes I had tried running in verbose mode, but I get pretty much the exact same messages as when I AM able to connect.

The only errors were from trying different types of authentication, which I'm not using, so it disables that method and goes onto asking for my password.

debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
Credentials cache file '/tmp/krb5cc_1000' not found

debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information

debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method

So, I had the verbose output saved to a log file, and used diff to compare it to the output from the account I am able to log into. The only difference was the bits:

diff goodAccountLog badAccountLog
54,55c54,55
< debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 143/256
< debug2: bits set: 509/1024
---
> debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 118/256
> debug2: bits set: 516/1024
60c60
< debug2: bits set: 526/1024
---
> debug2: bits set: 515/1024
72c72
< debug2: key: /home/trevor/.ssh/id_rsa (0xb81d7b28)
---
> debug2: key: /home/trevor/.ssh/id_rsa (0xb8720b28)

So I can't understand what is going on here....

Thanks again!

You just want simple Password access?

Same perms for both dirs and files?

yeah I was just trying to set up simple password access at this point. Yeah the permissions of the directories are the same. On my own computer, I am logged in as a regular user, but it doesn't work if I try it as sudo/root either...

Googling around, I found this:

[SOLVED] strange ssh error - Ubuntu Forums

[ubuntu] OpenSSL vulnerability - Ubuntu Forums

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/technology/782607/

TroubleshootingGuide - Free IPA

help with public key authentication