I am new to HPUX so kindly provide information related to it

Hello Gurus

I am new to HPUX so kindly help me by providing information related to HPUX. I would like to know the date when HPUX 11i v3 comes in to market as well as I have H3056S student guide dated May 2005 which I download through some site. Now I want to know its a HPUX 11i v2 or HPUX 11i v3 supported pdf

Regards

HP-UX 11i v3 was released in Feb 2007. Yes, HP-UX supports PDF.

v3 introduced so much good new stuff, you really don't want to run any other version. :b:

Depends on what hardware you are running, v3 wont run on an old alpha.

hello! i'm and HP fan, i know nothing about using HP-UX, UNIX or related, exept, that i have used MAC OS, i wanted to join the HP-UX world! could you help me, i don't even know which hardware to buy, or system requeriments. is the PA-RISC discontinued?

thanks!

Alpha? :confused: Whatchu talkin bout Willis? HP-UX doesn't run on Alpha, never has. It runs on PA-RISC and Itanium.

If you know nothing about unix, what makes you so interested in HP-UX?? Seems like Linux or FreeBSD would be a better starting place as that runs on commodity consumer pc hardware, plus it's *far* more user friendly for a beginner.

PA-RISC is indeed on its way out, Itanium is the new flavor of the day. That said, you can find some pretty nice PA-RISC machines for cheap. Like an rp4440 with dual 1Ghz processors and a couple gigs of ram. Mind you this is a noisy 4U rackmount server that weighs ~80 lbs or so. IIRC it requires 220v power too. Not something you'll want running in your living room. PA-RISC workstations do exist, although I can't comment on those. I work on large HP-UX servers for a living (rx7000, rx8000, and superdome) so to me it's not all that exciting, just another day at work. :wink:

The good news is that all HP-UX servers don't have any sort of video card, all your interaction with the machine is through a standard RS232 serial port. No fancy esoteric monitors or proprietary kbd / mouse required! Also the vast majority don't have a hardware raid controller. One less thing to fail IMO. You mirror the system disks using LVM.

Huge fan of the new agile addressing scheme, for mass storage devices, in 11i v3.

well, i am interested on HP-UX because it's HP. i own some Designjets, a lot of HP Calculators, 4 pavilion, an HP ProLiant ML350 G5 for my backup, and a lot of more HP stuff all just for fun, i really don't know, i just love HP.

i wanted to use HP-UX, can all you guys, don't know if any girls, help me for starting using it, don't know if it's graphical, never seen a screen.
please reccomend a workstations, if not a server it's ok, but cheap, haha, just for beginners.... thanks

robertq,
You should be able to find cheap boxes out there... you would live nearby I would have given you a D class, in workstation anything from model 9000/715 would be good for HP-UX 9.05, 9.07 or 10.20 (but will be slow) nicely made and not as noisy as new models:
B130 B180 that Im sure you could find for less than 100$...
Have you been on Ebay to see?