Hung ILOM - e2900

While trying to perform a firmware upgrade on this ilom, the system refused to allow uploading of more than ~900k or so... We tried multiple approaches using FTP and all failed. I decided to start this morning by firing up Apache on another box and trying the same process via HTTP but when I went to access the ilom it's kicking me out. It prompts for a username and regardless of what I give it, when I push enter to send the username putty instantly gets disconnected.

I reviewed my options and what I've seen is that I can power off the server, wait a few and that should reset the ilom, per this thread: Reset ILOM from cmd line

Is that still the recommended approach? Is there another option?

You are trying to update the ILOM.

Is the system bootable (Solaris)? If so, there is a utility which allows you to flash the ILOM from there.

What username are you entering for the ILOM?

The OS is down, part of the reason we need to update the ilom is diagnostics to make Oracle happy so they'll send a new processor board.

For ilom usernames I've tried my personal username, root and admin... Regardless of what I use, as soon as I press enter, it disconnects me.

So if you connect a serial console and power the whole box up from cold (ie, all volts removed and reconnected) can you see the ILOM (a Linux appliance) boot up on the console? Should take quite a long time whilst all the diags run.

Yes, I was afraid that would be your suggestion. I'll update this thread when I have more details.

"Here's one I made earlier" on console connection. Might be useful.

Yes, that's some good information. At this point Oracle is going to send someone to replace some faulty hardware and in the process will also power cycle the machine.

Power cycling might make progress. This recent thread may also help....

1 Like

Yup, a power cycle did the trick. Thanks for the help.