.htaccess Not Working With AllowOverride All

Source: Apache.org

The .htaccess file is not read by the server based the test above and the lack of change in the operation of the server.

httpd.conf

<Directory />
    Options None
    AllowOverride All
    # Initially this was set to None and I would prefer it be again, just testing
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

AccessFileName .htaccess

Include default-server.conf

default-server.conf

<Directory "/dir/dir/dir/dir">
    AllowOverride All
    Options All
</Directory>

The .htaccess file is r by the web server user and group and exists in the correct directory.

Anyone know why this file is not working?

Thanks!

Did you restart the server after modifications?

Yes, and confirmed the server was stopped / no processes before restarting.

I'm still stuck on this one. Anyone with a fresh idea for me to chase down? Thx

check the apache logs to see if there are any relevant log entries. Do you get any errors when visiting a page in that directory or is the .htaccess just getting ignored? please post the contents of .htaccess so we can see what your trying to do.

Been through those a few times

Its just ignored. Here's the output from:

server:/var/log/apache2 # clear ; echo ACCESS ; tail -n 15  www.domain.com-access_log ; echo ERROR ; tail -n 15  www.domain.com-error_log
ACCESS
1.2.3.4 - - [21/Jan/2012:19:17:43 -0330] "GET /filename.php HTTP/1.1" 200 61184 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1"
1.2.3.4 - - [21/Jan/2012:19:17:43 -0330] "GET /enviro.php?=PHPE9568F34-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42 HTTP/1.1" 200 2524 "http://www.domain.com/filename.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1"
1.2.3.4 - - [21/Jan/2012:19:17:43 -0330] "GET /enviro.php?=PHPE9568F35-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42 HTTP/1.1" 200 2146 "http://www.domain.com/filename.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1"
ERROR
server:/dir/dir/dir/www.domain.com # cat .htaccess 
wysisyg <- this line should generate an error to confirm file is parsed. it doesn't 

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f                                                                                                                                               
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d                                                                                                                                               
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico                                                                                                                                         
  RewriteRule ^ index.php [L]                                                                                                                                                       

# Rules to correctly serve gzip compressed CSS and JS files.                                                                                                                      
  # Requires both mod_rewrite and mod_headers to be enabled.
  <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    # Serve gzip compressed CSS files if they exist and the client accepts gzip.
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-encoding} gzip
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}\.gz -s
    RewriteRule ^(.*)\.css $1\.css\.gz [QSA]

# Serve gzip compressed JS files if they exist and the client accepts gzip.
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-encoding} gzip
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}\.gz -s
    RewriteRule ^(.*)\.js $1\.js\.gz [QSA]

# Serve correct content types, and prevent mod_deflate double gzip.
    RewriteRule \.css\.gz$ - [T=text/css,E=no-gzip:1]
    RewriteRule \.js\.gz$ - [T=text/javascript,E=no-gzip:1]

<FilesMatch "(\.js\.gz|\.css\.gz)$">
      # Serve correct encoding type.
      Header set Content-Encoding gzip
      # Force proxies to cache gzipped & non-gzipped css/js files separately.
      Header append Vary Accept-Encoding
    </FilesMatch>
  </IfModule>
</IfModule>

Above is the stock .htaccess file that ships with Drupal 7 (other than the first two lines which are intended to generate an error.)

Thanks for offering some suggestions...

Everyone stumped? Me too! :slight_smile: