HP9000 Server - Stuck on RAID0

Hey all,

I've got an old HP9000 L1000 server with HP-UX installed. The drives that the OS is running on are in RAID0. I am concerned for the reliability of the server. The four hard drives in the front of the server are LVD 18.2 drives. I know with RAID0, if one drive fails, they all fail. Is there an easy solution to make a "backup" to easily restore operation in the event of a drive failure? Would there be an easy solution to possibly switch to RAID1 for increased reliability? Are compatible hard drives even possible to obtain for this old machine?

Thanks for any and all advice.

You should be able to find 18G LVD SCSI drives. HP used to make their machines with HVD drives... what a pain that was!

With regards to backups, etc. that could be more complicated. I think that unit has external SCSI, if so, you may be able to hook some extra space up that way and back things up.

If possible, I'd backup the data, and start from scratch with a new install with a different RAID config.

2 Likes

You can find also 36GB drives for L series... To help more we would need to know a bit more on your configuration...