HP-UX / Tape Library Communication Problems

Hi All,

Hoping that you'll be able to help out on - I've a problem occuring in our backups that's driving me up the wall.

I've got an HP-UX Visualise 6500 as below:

================================
root # uname -a
HP-UX <NAME> B.11.00 A 9000/785 2005956095 two-user license

which connects via HP's Omniback (now known as Data Protector) to our tape library.

The current issue is that although I'm making sure that the drives are empty and ready for data transfer.... (below):-

=================================
<NAME>:root # mc -r D
DT_slot_1 EMPTY
DT_slot_2 EMPTY
DT_slot_3 EMPTY
DT_slot_4 EMPTY

...the backups themselves are showing in a Queued status in the Omniback GUI on the server...:-

(Error Message): Not enough licenses "Single Drive for UNIX / mixed SAN".
Session is waiting for some of devices to get free.

The main concern is that once I've removed the tapes from the drives there's no resumption of the backup which means that rather than them completing overnight they're required to be rerun during the day impacting on the Network etc. (This becomes particularly fun on Monday morning after the weekend!)

Alternately, the other workaround appears to be Aborting and then Restarting the failed sessions but again that requires manual intervention and ovenight monitoring.

I've already checked:
Interfaces between the 2 devices and they seem to be communicating properly
Directories in /opt/omni/lbin for any licensing conflicts but can't find any
Physical connections

but feel free to suggest anything I may have missed, as I'm now at a bit of a loss.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone may have (and to answer the most obvious one, yes, - we ARE getting a new backup solution in the next couple of months), but I'd really like to figure out why this is happening!

(MODS - Not sure if this is a genuine "UNIX question" or an Application/GUI issue but I'm at the end of my tether with this and would appreciate any help, but let me know if it's an inappropriate thread and I'll bother someone else instead!)

Thanks for your help.

G

I don't use omniback so I can't help you. But this is a perfectly appropriate question for this forum. I don't like recommending another forum, but I'll make an exception and suggest that also post your question to http://forums.itrc.hp.com/ since it has the largest collect of omniback experts of any forum.

Hi Perderabo ,

Many Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have a look over there as well.