HP-UX: Problem viewing directory with BDF...

Hi all,

When I use BDF command on this particular server, it outputs mostly normal stuff. However, there is one directory it can't read at all.

Also, it doesn't seem to exist.

When I BDF my file system with a small panic script (it happens even if you use just the bdf command):

As you can see the /var/test has a problem with permissions.

I went there to see if I can view the problem...

Pretty weird. I doesn't even seem to see anything there. But BDF function see's it!

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

$ ls -ld /var /var/test
/var/test not found
dr-xr-xr-x  30 bin        bin           1024 Mar  3  2009 /var
$
1 Like

what gives

bdf
cat bdfpanic
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/mnttab

?

1 Like

Thanks ctsgnb,

Got this from doing: cat /etc/mnttab

One of the lines read...

... Some Samba ressource

1 Like

So, it is a mount point (which root does not want anyone writing if no mount, being silly, as it gets hidden by the mount). Gotta get a friendly mount.

Hi DGPickett,

Sorry I'm a knew Sys Admin, and new in HP-UX. What can I do about this issue?

Thanks,

Well, I am a tyro admin, so not to worry. You found it was a mount point, does df say it is mounted? If not, it needs to be mounted, and if so, it is not working very well, hence the Samba reference. SAMBA is open source SMB software. SMB is the way windows does many net tasks, like mounting drives and displaying remote systems in the network part of Windows Explorer. It is a challenging area, like learning NFS in a foreign language, especially as Windows keeps upgrading the protocols and authentication to fix security issues.

1 Like

df gives the following output:

Right on, confused...haven't started dealing with mount points and file system issues yet...
Thanks for your help

Maybe this can help a bit to dig into cifs file system protocol.

1 Like

Thank you, I will take a look at the manual and see what I can dig out.

Appreciate all the help...

What is your OS release ?

uname -a

---------- Post updated at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:34 PM ----------

Wrong sorry
HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 178177796 unlimited-user license

Most other ones are 11.31

Maybe you can get a look at this : Re: Samba Question

By the way, not sure wether it applies to you or not, but you can have a look at this as well.

Maybe it will give you some clue or ideas.

1 Like

Yes, you have a mounted remote Windows file now not working. Possibilities: network breakdown, or remote host, directory, file gone, remote permissions. Go over there and check.

You have an error message but do the server work ? did it ever work before ? what is it used for ? are the users using it ? are they complaining about it ? did it work in the past or are you trying to install it ?

Maybe the way you connect to samba or get info from it is just not suitable.
Try to run a samba client and connect to your samba server and see if you get some other error message.

Or just dig into the samba ressource previously provided and check if you have somewhere some logfile/tracefile and/or see if you can generate some in order to get more clue to troubleshoot.

Thank you much. I have pointed out all the errors to the higher-ups and the main sys admin gently laughed in my face and said that its just a stale mount point and removed it...

Thank you all for your help and the documentation, as it will all help me grow as an admin...

Thanks

Another good samba ressource

1 Like