HP-UX Full System Backup with fbackup

Hello,

I'm still new in HP-UX backup and I want to do a FULL BACKUP of HP-UX server to TAPE device. After reading on several forums and posts, i have list down several steps on how to do a full backup on HP-UX with fbackup. I would like the gurus here to comment/advise on the steps below

1) Insert tape

2) mount tape with command below. This command will mount the tape device and automatically rewind

3) To speed up the backup to tape process, use the configuration file below:

4) Then run fbackup with command:

5) Have a jug of coffee to drink until the backup process finish :smiley:

So now, i have several questions in mind:

1) Is there any error if i do a backup on "/" while system is running ? Maybe permission error. If yes, how can i make a backup on "/" ?

2) If the whole data , let say 35GB, and the tape capacity only, let say 20GB, can i continue the backup to 2nd tape ? . Is there another command or just put another tape after the 1st tape ejected ? Any advice ?

Thanks in advance.

If fbackup isnt a bad tool, it will not replace a real backup/restore utility such as omniback, TSM, netbackup etc...
Nevertheless in older days (HPUX8 and 9) I only had fbackup...
As an admin I will always separate the system and the rest on all boxes I install:
vg00 is purely OS and OS related (users, OS software e.g. Java etc...) the rest in other vg groups and preferably on external disks.
I will therefore backup the system (entire vg00) with Ignite (make_recovery, make_tape_recovery ,etc...).
the rest with the backup software (or fbackup...).

At the time fbackup used to ask for the next tape... but if not changed but pressed <enter> it would continue on your system disk... In other words you would have to be present...
I suppose things have changed since...

vbe is right. "fbackup" is not enough.

I would also like to add that "fbackup" in common with many of the unix feebies such as "dump" does not deal with large files (above 2Gb). It is also not accepted as a backup by HP support.

If you want to be able to recover from a system disc failure you should first make an Ignite backup and repeat that backup every time you make a significant change to the system configuration. Don't forget to record the current root password against that backup.

Then also use proper backup software (e.g. HP Omniback aka. Data Protector) to back up every file bearing in mind that "files" backups do not back up the Operating System properly - hence the Insight backup.

Don't forget to quiesce filesystems before you run a backup. In the basic case this mean stopping any databases and ensuring that no files are open. There are techniques available to keep database engines such as Oracle running during a backup.

It is advisible to rehearse and document the restore again-and-again to an expendable computer until you are confident that the restore works. If you are meticulous in your Insight backups or /dev/vg00 you may just need to bring /etc/passwd up to date before restoring the individual filesystems from the secondary backup.

Dealing with "fbackup" or "dump" process which go onto a continuation tape needs technical knowledge and planning. Imho you need to break the backup down into separate tapes by careful sizing and planning. i.e. Make each tape a separate backup operation containing one or more distinct disc partitions and don't let the backup software ask for a continuatation tape.
Imho. The best technique is to place each filesystem backup onto a separate tape partition and then use "mt" commands to navigate the tape. This is not necessary with HP Omniback because it recognises different mountpoints.

That is right. After performed the backup process using fbackup and ignite, i can say that fbackup only backup your data while make_tape_recovery is for backing up your vg00(image system).

As for my 2nd question, if your data is more that your tape capacity, it will ask you to put another tape to continue the backup until the process finish.

I manage to backup 3 HP server (rp7400 (1) and rp5470 (2))

It is advisible to not fill a tape and go onto a continuation tape. This will give you problems when reading the backup.