HP-UX Certifications

Hi,

I am planning to get certified on HP-UX.

I googled about HPUX Certifications. I understand that I need to pass on exam HP0-A01 but I find many references to HP0-095.

I bought this book:
HP-UX: HP Certification Systems Administrator, Exam HP0-A01 - Training Guide and Administrator's Reference, 3rd Edition

Is there any simulator or site where I can practice HP-UX commands and technologies?

How can I prepare to this exam?

Best regards

Do you have access to a HP-UX box?
Without that it will be quite a challenge...

Yes, I have access.

But normally, this servers are in production environment. I may practice some commands but may not practice without being certain of what I am doing.

Welcome to the club!

What kind of box have you access to?
You could always look on ebay for a cheap d class to pull apart and rebuild...

I have access to 10.20 -> 11.31... We have several HPUX.

How much does a box costs at ebay?
Is there an emulator to HPUX? Or the only way is to get access to a physical server?

I agree with vbe, the best way is to look for a 2nd hand machine ( some will cost under 100$) and practice on it some.

You may drop by Polarhome - gateway to freedom
They offer HP-UX Shells , But I'm not sure if they permit root access or not , I believe you may negotiate with them to get root access.
Long time a go HP Offered a program called HP Testdrive , I believe the program has been stopped I have found some articles on HP site stating that program is still up but under another name you may google it .
Also there are some sites offering some kind of temp access to practice machines for a fee.
Or you can setup a vpar on your production system
you have multiple choices

A 100$ machine may run 11.31 ?

I googled for TestDrive but it was disabled. Now there is another program but it seems that we need a Partner account...

A vpar would be a great solution but I don't have the permission to do that... :frowning:

Yes, Some 100$ are able to run HP-UX 11iV3 regardless their shape , just seek your best match

That said, it your company's interest to help you through or is it a personal challenge?
There are many things you can look at without any need of being root, then if the admins grant you root access, they should also be behind you to help you start and choose the less sensible machine for you to practice on (having enough spare disk space so you can create delete extend your own lvols and with a bit of luck vgs...)

I will look at ebay for a HPUX box.

It's more a personal challenge but the company has interest but normally they only pay the exam fee. About the vpar, it's not an option.

I have some experience with LVM in HPUX and Linux.
I would like to practice with fc storage, multipath, package administration, ioscan, virtualization,cluster, etc
This will be impossible if I buy a HP box to practice.

I was hoping that there were a site that hat access to HPUX systems.

I am going to study the Asghari book and wait for some projects that involve some of the topics.

The hardware may only cost $100 but a valid license for the Base OE will cost a lot more than that!

I will receive the book in the next few days. I will try to work as much as possible with HPUX at work so I can practice.

Do you know the difficulty of the CSA(HP0-A01) exam?

FC, multipath, virtualization: Means you would have to get a box with FC AND buy an FC cabinet...
Forget it unless you have $$$
About virtualization and clustering, it means recent HW and so more expensive...
clustering could be done with D class already but you would need a external scsi cabinet at the minimum with two SCSI interfaces on it that can show the disks on both interfaces (E.G. HDS 5700 or 5800...). But again the expensive part would be the licensing as already mentionned by your peers...
The best for you would be, and thats why I asked what boxes you can access, find a suitable box that can be almost compatible with, and having a DAT drive installed, then you could try to use the generated recovery image to install, or modify configuration...

You need nothing special to be able to use ioscan at work, and is safe, just take in account the load of the machine before trying fancy options...

There isn't a HP0-A01anymore. Please be aware and do not let the old centers cheat you. I heard some centers are still allowing to write the old exams and do a migration later. (Money)

Its HP0-P20 if you want to do CSA on 11iv3

http://www.netsecure.com.ar/netsecFiles/HP0-P20-EPG.pdf

-DB

Ps: Hi Vbe, long time.. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the warning.

I was not aware of HP0-P20.
I will check the differences between the 2 exams.

Do you know the difficulty level for HP0-020?

That depends on how good you are! :smiley:

Anyways, I'd say that this should be an easy one and its the first one before you go for CSE. Read books/documents, but, most importantly, practice well. There is nothing as good as practice when it comes to Unix. I'd say Servers are your best books!

All the best!
-DB

It has come to my attention that Apache Web Server configuration is one of the new areas that are now being tested on the HP0-P20 exam.

There is a lot of information out there regading Apache configuration; entire books have been written on the subject. My question is this:

Are there any links, articles, etc. which is very specific about configuring
Apache we server as it pertains to HP unix systems? Since the exam focues on HP unix, then it stands to reason that any and all questions on the test asked about Apache Web Server configuration will be asked inside the context of an HP unix environment. So if anyone knows of any good links or other sources of information about Apache Web Server configuration as it pertains to HP unix systems, I would appreciate the advice. Thanks ahead of time!

Regards,

Rob Sandifer