HP Support Plus media

Hi folks,

i owe a HP 9000 E55 (antique...) server. I also owe the original version of the OS HPUX 11.0. Unfortenately i can't find the HP-Support Plus medium. During the instlallation i was asked to put it in, i always skip this one. But the system runs not very well. On HP's website you can download all the files you need, HW1100.depot, QPK1100.depot. I downloaded them but i don't know how to put them on the cd (directury structure). Could anyoune post the structure of the support plus cd ? Are there anymore files i need ? should i decompress the .depot files so i can use them during OS Intsallation ?

Thanks a lot !

Robert

I don't know how to build a support cd, but you can just install any depots you downloaded. The support cd has diagnostics and that is why you might use it during installation. The useful diagnostics are password protected so third party maintainence people cannot use them. Password protecting the diagnostics was a controversial move and folks complained bigtime when they were on the OS cd (I paid for that os!). That's why they were moved to the support cd. A few are usable without passwords and so you might want to install them. The other thing the support cd does is serve as a bootable cd in case the os is badly clobbered.

thats not my problem - i also owe the original version. I dont't want to install any software, my problem is the HWE1100. The Server needs it during the installation but i don't know how to provide it. On a cd - but wich format ????

I sat it again: if you have the depot, just install it. :stuck_out_tongue:

And it doesn't matter if i install it during installation or after ?

Has to be after installation. HWE's are a collection of patches. Thus you must have an OS to patch. Five seconds after or 5 years after does not matter. HWE's are re-released every 6 months while the os is supported. The most recent 11.0 seems to be March 2004. But while 11.0 was supported, you were supposed to re-install it every 6 months.

If it's in /tmp, just do:

swinstall -s /tmp/HWE1100.depot -x autoreboot=true -x patch_match_target=true

Thanks a lot !

btw do you know o good terminal emulation for Windoze (for the serial port) to throw away the hp terminal ???

HyperTerminal comes with XP. We use it on laptops at work.