HP notebook PC wifi card whitelist problem

I have hp dv6 and dv7 notebook pcs on which I want to upgrade the wifi cards but when I install the new cards and boot them, the they won't even boot to the bios and they both give me the same error: "104-Unsupported wireless network device detected. System Halted. Remove device and restart." When I install the wifi cards after they boot, on the other hand, the new wifi cards work fine. How can I remove this annoying whitelist on the bios, or is there another way to solve this issue? ..any ideas?

Thank you

It's been a long time since I came across this error but I do remember it resulting from HP playing silly b*****s with their whitelist.

It's a well known error. If you search (Google) for "hp 104 error" you will find plenty of information.

You can CAREFULLY use an (older) version of knoppix to permanently fix it but be careful not to screw up your machine(s). Do one machine at a time and test the result thoroughly.

Fix "Unsupported wireless network device detected. System Halted" Error

The fact that you've posted to this major Unix/Linux forum I assume you are familiar with Unix/Linux?

1 Like