HP 748i VME workstation questions

I have been using Linux for quite some time, and I've used unix workstations before, so I'm not entirely lost, but I could definitely use some help getting this baby useful.

Mostly, I'd very much appreciate it if someone could tell me what network cards I can jam in this thing, because the AUI jack on the rear is a micro-d connector, and I don't really feel like spending 40 bucks to build a fiddly adapter board and then another however much for a transceiver module...

If it was one with PCI slots I'd be a little less lost on this because it's fairly likely I could shove an HP-branded server card from the early 2000s into it and I'd be fine but it has EISA slots, and I have no idea if HP-UX would support just a regular-ass etherlink III.

This information and/or any other relating to the initial setup and configuration of this system would be greatly appreciated.

How many network interfaces are you trying to put on the box?

You could easily convert the AUI port to a RJ45 using an adapter but, yes, it'll cost a little, but you could then connect it to a network switch.

I've also read that, at least originally, a PCI cage could be fitted to a 748i but generally you can only use HP network cards because of driver availability.

@internet_possum , have you been here ?

search online returns oodles of links to this kit.

1 Like