How to use Ntpdate to slew the time?

Hi experts,

I've a master server which sync to ntp time server daily by using xntpd daemon. Then my client servers will use ntpdate through cron job to synchronize the time hourly. (By using ntpupdate -s -B 'master server')

My question is, now I'll need to synchronize to a oracle server which running on oracle 9i. As we don't want to affect the service of oracle, we intend to use 'ntpupdate -s -B 'master server', the problem is by using '-B' option, althought the slew time may slowly update the time accordingly, in fact of using '-b' to update the time immdiately.

However we are thinking the time to be sync still very fast, if possible we would like to sync the time to oracle server in backgroup and maybe take 1 month to switch back to normal time. Now the time differece is around 10mins.

Hence I'd like to know is it possible to set the slew time by using 'ntpupdate -B', or can any expert give me an better idea.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If you are worried that using the -B option for ntpdate you can run the xntpd deamon in the background. It will slowly adjust the time to your master server. Howerver, xntpd might not adjust the time if your client machine is way too behind. You should need to check the documentation on your respective machine.

Thanks for the reply. May i know is that any way to make the time slow adjust back (eg 14days to 1 month) to normal actual time by using xntpd daemon? What's the option i can use?

Quite confuse that by using 'ntpdate -B', can i change the 'adjtime' value? It seems like for a 15 mins different of time, it just take a day to sync back to actual time which is not fit to our requirement.

Thank you.

Regards,