How to setup printer queues for multiple-trays?

Dear Redhat Linux Gurus,
I need to setup RedHat linux printer queues that can print to certain multiple trays on HP LaserJet in general, particulary on the following models:
HP LaserJet 600 M601,
HP LaserJet 2420dn,
HP LaserJet 4000dn
The command syntax used to setup these printer queues is as follows and have been able to do simple single page printing:

lpadmin -E -p <printer-queue> -v socket://<IP address|DNS name> -E

e.g. lpadmin -E -p laserjet600 -v socket://192.168.0.4

However, I need to print to individual tray which holds various size of papers but failed to do so with the commands below:

lp -d <printer-queue> -o Upper or tray0 or tray1

e.g. lp -d laserjet600 -o Upper or tray0 or tray1

Unfortunately, all print jobs have come out from the bottom (Lower - tray2) tray instead.
I would appreciate the following advice:
( i ) How to check whether CUPS software is used and what version it is running?
( ii ) Any additional setup or driver need to be installed?
( iii ) Any reference of related printer setups would be appreciated even though I have gone through CUPS software Users Manual
& Online Help

Many thanks,
George

Is there anyone who can help me with this issue? I am still not able to resolve it.

Thanks in advance,

George

Hi George,
I don't have the facilities to test your issue, but a quick search suggests reading the CUPS man pages.

Selecting the Media Size, Type, and Source

The -o media=xyz option sets the media size, type, and/or source:

• lp -o media=Letter filename ENTER lp -o media=Letter,MultiPurpose filename ENTER lpr -o media=Letter,Transparency filename ENTER lpr -o media=Letter,MultiPurpose,Transparency filename ENTER

The available media sizes, types, and sources depend on the printer, but most support the following options (case is not significant):

• Letter - US Letter (8.5x11 inches, or 216x279mm)
  • Legal - US Legal (8.5x14 inches, or 216x356mm)
  • A4 - ISO A4 (8.27x11.69 inches, or 210x297mm)
  • COM10 - US #10 Envelope (9.5x4.125 inches, or 241x105mm)
  • DL - ISO DL Envelope (8.66x4.33 inches, or 220x110mm)
  • Transparency - Transparency media type or source
  • Upper - Upper paper tray
  • Lower - Lower paper tray
  • MultiPurpose - Multi-purpose paper tray
  • LargeCapacity - Large capacity paper tray

Hope that might point you in the right direction.

David

Hi dluk,

Thanks for offering your suggestion but I have already read CUPS manual back to front and tried all these commands before posting.

Looks like very few people are familiar with this issue. I may have to try some where else instead.

Thanks,

George