How to setup hardware RAID on a T2000

Hello all

We've just bought a T2000. It has two disks and I'm trying to figure out how to create a mirror of the boot disk. I understand that I have to boot into single user mode from DVD and then use the raidctl command to set up the mirror and label the volume afterwards.

Format returns the following:

Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c0t0d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
/pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0/sd@0,0
1. c0t1d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
/pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0/sd@1,0
Specify disk (enter its number): ^D

If I run the raidctl command while in run level 3, I get the following output:

Controller: 0
Disk: 0.0.0
Disk: 0.1.0

Does this mean hardware RAID has already been set up?

i'm not a friend of hardware raid on boot devices. why not use softraid to mirror the root disk? it is much easier to access the disk if you encounter any problems...

to your question:
no, there isn't a raid configured yet...

If H/w raid is configured, for should only see ONE logical disk, that is c0t0d0.
To configure H/W raid, use this.
raidctl -c c0t0d0 c0t1d0
Synchronization is mean to be completed after you see the disk LEDs not blinking anymore

Agreed - I prefer to remain reliant on the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle for the boot devices.

We have HW RAID configured on a server and it removes the flexibility from your disks. Sometimes is can be uses full to be able to split a mirror and keep a copy while some work is on-going on a system disk.

Also, with SW mirroring, if you "urgently" need to borrow some disk space for something, you can split the mirror, use it and then reattach the mirrors afterwards.

Sorry, just seen the reply already told you the answer above.