How to set 4 SEA on single VIOS

Hi experts, i got a 4-port Adapter card on VIOS and would like to configure 4SEA for 4 difference segment IP client's LPAR use, first SEA succeed to be configured on ent0 but once second SEA configured, first SEA fail to be connected. Any issues i need to be concerned in order to configure 4 SEA on single 4-port adapter card? Thank in advance :slight_smile:

hi,
do u set promiscious mode for the ports which ur configuring as sea?
Configure each sea in different VLAN ID then first sea wont be fail.

sorry, i am new to virtualization, can you explain more about configure promiscious mode ?

hi polar,
what is ur server model?
depends upon the model we have to configure.if it is power6 520 then k.
is ur server is managed through hmc?
if it is connected, select the server and go to hardware information.tjhere you will locate the physical ethernet ports, then select the port and configure it.set the promiscous mode for the port which u have selected.

You can also use vlan taging to multiple vlans over on sea

Abstract:The use of Virtual  Switches can provide an important new design choice when implementing 
a  Power Server over the originally supported method of Shared Ethernet  Adapter Failover in conjunction
 with the use of VLAN tagging . This  white paper describes the concepts and business value of Virtual  Switches
and also provides detailed instruction for configuration and  implementation.

IBM Techdocs White Paper: Using Virtual Switches in PowerVM to Drive Maximum Value of 10 Gb Ethernet

Power model 720 with HMC.
Means that i configure the particular client LPARs for particular physical port(ent0, ent1, ent2, ent3) on 'Promiscous LPAR'? so that 4 set of SEA configure can be used without any problems?
(p.s : This adapter card is not HEA)

Please run the following:

lsmap -all -net

as padmin on the VIO server and post the result here.

Is this a dual VIO configuration?

hi,
configure each sea in different pvid's.then u can able to configure all the 4.
that means create 4 virtual ethernet adapters with different pvids.
command for configuring sea is :
"mkvdev -sea (physical adapter1) -vadapter (virtual ethernet1) -default (virtual ethernet1) -default id (pvid given in virtual ethernet creation)
do this command for all the 4(ent0,ent1,ent2,ent3).
i wish it may helps u.....

thanks all. 4 sets of SEA succeed configured by making sure all the vlan id on VIO server and client's LPARs vlans are matching each others via HMC. :slight_smile: