how to resize a file

hello every body. in a little bit of a jam here.if you all happen to know how to resize the tmp file in my linux system. I use a sabayon 3.5 on a x86 machine. itried to make a dvd image copy but the system gives me a error message telling me the temporary folder used to make images is too small. since it is only 2.8 GB i want to resize it to 8 GB. HOW? or do i need to set anothe folder? In both cases wath do i do? Thanks:o:confused::frowning:

What's the output of fdisk -l <disk>, df -h?

no there was no reply because i haven't tried anything since i did not knew how to do it. i was curios if there is a way to do that (resizing a file). all i got on the net was about image resizing. i did not use fdisk or any othr program. but is there a way? please reply back!!!

Were not talking about resizing a file, but a file system, which can only be done if the file system supports it, there's enough space to extend the partition, and other factors. If, for example, your /tmp isn't a separate partition, but just a directory in the root file system, an online resize will probably be impossible.