how to remove db2 orphan processes

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a AIX 5.3 environment and I've been quite a few times in a situation where we can remove db2 orphan processes therefore our only alternative has been to reboot the entire server. Now I wonder is there is any other possible way that we can use to remove those processes without having to reboot the server. I've tried ipcrm, ipclean . Also tried to kill them one by one. So far even IBM support has been able to tell how we can overcome this problem. Any help/guidance would be highly appreciated. thanks.

harbry

What do you mean by db2 orphan processes? Can you post an output from ps that greps for the db2 orphan processes?

Actually I don't have an output but I can tell you that those db2 processes can't kill them using any known unix/aix command. So I was hoping this would be a good question for the Unix Experts. thanks.

What do you mean can't be killed? They have pids don't they? Try kill -9 on those pids. If you still can't kill the processes, then that probably means that they are stuck in kernel mode. To kill those processes, you will have to reboot the system.

try db2 force application all
then stop the database
db2stop
and check for the orphan processes.

normally if the databse is not stopped the proccesses starts again, even after you kill them.

I've shoould done this to begin with:

I've tried:

db2 force application all;
db2_kill
ipclean
ipcrm -s to remove all the ipcs
kill -9
kill -36

None of this has worked