How to remotely start ssh on Solaris?

Hi everyone,

I have a Solaris machine:
SunOS 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220

After reboot, I can't ssh to this machine. Error message:
ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused

It seems ssh daemon is not running, but I don't have physical access to this machine now and was told that I should be able to remotely start ssh on this Solaris.

Can anyone share with me how to remotely start ssh on Solaris machine? (or how to connect to my Solaris machine if ssh doesn't work?)

Thanks,
Zaiwen

Hello Zaiwen,

Welcome to forum. You could try following steps as a startup for troubleshooting.
1- Try to telnet to port 22.
ii- check logs for daemon.log, /var/log,

Do let us know the results for above, check for errors present in logs and report back to us.
Also please use code tags for codes/commands/Inputs you are using in your posts as per forum rules.

Thanks,
R. Singh

Hi RavinderSingh,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I tried telnet, but same error:
# telnet mymachine
Trying 123.123.123.123....
telnet: connect to address 123.123.123.123: Connection refused

I was told there is a way to connect to this machine if ssh doesn't work, but I can't find the document now :slight_smile:

Any clue?

Thanks,
Zaiwen

Hello Zaiwen,

You can use rlogin command too for same. After you are logged in, you can navigate through the remote file system and manipulate its contents (subject to authorization), copy files, or execute remote commands. I doesn't have solaris box handy with me, you can check it's man page and give it a try, let us know about same.

Thanks,
R. Singh

Hello R. Singh,

Thanks again.

I tried to rlogin, but it just hangs for about 1 minute, then I got error "Connection refused".

No way out?

Thanks,
Zaiwen

Your OS is likely stuck at some early boot milestone.

You need to connect to its console through the ilom to figure out what is going wrong.