How to read pdf file in UNIX environment?

Hi,
I had a PDF file in Windows, I ftp'ed it to UNIX environment. Now, I couldnot read the same file in the UNIX environment. Is there any possible way to read this file? I need to give this file as input

Thanks,
Geetha

What program are you using to read the PDF on UNIX? Which UNIX, while we're at it? And what do you mean by "I need to give this file as input"?

hi,
I'm using SunOS. I just ftp'ed pdf file to unix box from windows... Need to give this file as input to a shell script... Is there any possible way to convert this PDF file to readable text format in the unix box?
Thanks,
Geetha

Are you implying that PDF is not readable?
You should be able find plenty of the PDF converters using Google.

A better question would be:

Why would you routinely use PDF formatted files as input into a script?

If you're spending time trying to automate some process, than you should look at replacing PDF with some other kind of document. Or possibly generate an additional file along side the PDF's for use by your script.

Sure, you can read PDF files from a command line, but it's rarely a good solution. If you must read PDF's from a unix command line, see if your system has these commands:

pdf2txt
pdf2ps
ps2ascii

pdf2txt - converts from PDF to text
pdf2ps - converts from PDF to Postscript
ps2ascii - converts from Postscript to ASCII text

If you can't find pdf2txt, then you could try using the other two to do the same thing.