how to open a specific port

Hi All,

Can anyone let me know that how to open a specific port in Solaris 10. I just wanted to know if there are some certain commands to open a port (like ftp, telnet).

It would be also better if someone can tell me if there is another firewall service in Solaris 10 except ipfilter.

Thanks,
Deepak

A port is open when the service listening on it is enabled.

Ipfilter work well. There might still be commercial firewalls available like CheckPoint.

If you want to open your own port using your own program, read about TCP/IP api and create your own daemon.

If you just want an application to listen on a port you can configure Inetd to listen on specific port for you. check /etc/inetd.conf

To test a port try telnet or ping
example test port 25:

ping -p 25 [address]
telnet [address] 25

I'm afraid the "ping -p" suggestion won't work as ping isn't designed to probe ports.
The -p option is about UDP port, not TCP ones.
This option is ignored unless the "-U" option is set.
Ping will report the remote host to be alive regardless of the UDP port being open or not anyway.

Yes, I agree.
When any service is enabled, the service starts listening on it's specified port untill there is no firewall turned on. But when the firewall is turned on, how to open a port of any service so that the request regarding that could be listen.

Thanks,
Deepak

Turn off the firewall or at least re-enable that port on the firewall rules.