how to omit the output of the at now command

Hi Everyone,

I'm invoking the following command by a script:

at now < /home/d01plmi1/rep/start_replication.sh   >  /dev/null/  2>&1

but everytime is runs it put a message into the mail box of the userid executing the command. How can I redirect this so I can stop these notifications going to the mail account. thanks.

Harby

According to the POSIX standard, (even though you have redirected stdout and stderr) an implementation is allowed (but not required) to send mail to the user submitting the job when the job completes that specifies the job completion status. There is no standard way to turn off this optional job termination notification, but the at(1) man page on your system may specify a way to do this.

Thanks Don for your reply. If it can't be done well I have to find another way to execute this command. This is a replication start up script and for some reason when I was executing it just by using the below wasn't working at all as it was just hanging:

ksh /home/d01plmi1/rep/start_replication.sh

thanks again!!

Is it possible that at is executing the command with stdin redirected from /dev/null? If running the script manually results in it 'hanging' it's quite possible that it, or a command it invokes, is waiting to read something from stdin without a prompt.

You might try:

ksh /home/d01plmi1/rep/start_replication.sh </dev/null

to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks but doesn't work either. I did try redirecting the output using most of the common alternatives but without luck. The at now command seems to be the handy one as basically the script is just submiting the command without having to sit there and wait.