How to learn Solaris?

Dear friends,
I have always been facinated by this operating system and didn't have the chance to get a hand on it. Now I have decided to take it seriously and learn it. What do you guys recommend for me? Books, tutorials, forums like this etc. And which one would be the best, I have dowloaded a few books each having almost 800 pages, would they be helpful?
Thanks

the best way is to start with installing and using it... use a virtuell machine or two... configure network interfaces... and and and...

Hi,
I'm a Solaris Sys Amin. The best way to learn is by doing projects. Are you working on this at home or work? One of the best features of Solaris is ZFS, which is the file system. A good 1st project is to build a file server. If you are installing Solaris on hardware and not in a VM you can also learn zones.

Hi,

I'm also quite new to Sun OS, but I've been working on RHEL/SUSE/CentOS.
Need advice to get going with Sun as well.

Currently, I am struggling to get my net working on my VMware machine and to enable to connectivity from putty to vm. Here's the output of ifconfig:

# ifconfig -a 
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 e1000g0: flags=1004843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2         inet 192.168.1.4 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255         ether 0:c:29:95:b1:5d

Any help/advice is appreciable

you can also use zones in a virtuell environment... which doesn't make any sense but for learning...

Any link ? how do I configure zone ?
Apology for my ignorance :wall:

@shefali.sun

lo0 is the loopback device and not an actual network card. have a look at the output from "dladm show-dev" to find you card. if there is no card, you might need to install a driver for your card!

a good start for solaris is the system documentation:
Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 Release

I do see a card configured when I hit dladm show-dev:

e1000g0    link:up    speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full

@shefali.sun & gabam
This page has a great how to on it for making zones. Zone are a form of visualization on Solaris servers.
Create Full Root Solaris Zone

The link is quite comprehensive :rolleyes:
Any easier solutions :smiley:

---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:34 AM ----------

@bitlord

I'm still stuck with my connectivity issues:

1. Connection from putty to sun VMbox?
  2. Internet connectivity within the sun VM box..

I've tried editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to permit remote root login.. But no luck :confused:

Ok shefali.sun,
I use virtual box a lot and one thing you need to make sure of is that the VM program put your server on the same network as your other computer. Even if you running the VM on the same computer your trying to connect from. So check the network setting on VM program your using.

As for the internet conectivity make sure the /etc/resolv.conf (used for DNS)has the right info in it.

I use VirualBox on my Mac at to host VM's of Solaris servers, so I will try to help as much as I can.

so you have to configure this interface... start with:

# ifconfig e1000g0 plumb

As a beginning grab a copy of UNIX and LINUX System Administration Handbook 4th Edition a must to have. It will be an invaluable reference for you specially if you have a previous experience in LINUX or other UNICES.
This book will aid you in many Solaris administration aspects ranging from basic to advanced topics that if you are going to practice and test by your hands I tell you that if you can digest that book you will be able to handle many tasks that cover over than 90% of Solaris Administration.

From what I can see in the output on the first page, it looks like the interface is configured:

e1000g0: flags=1004843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2         inet 192.168.1.4 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255         ether 0:c:29:95:b1:5d

It is just the unfortunate formatting that makes it difficult to notice :wink:

What makes you think using zones in a virtual environment doesn't make any sense in a non learning context ?

virtualisation inside virtualisation...?

Your point would have been valid with similar virtualization technologies but VMs and zones are quite different.

In almost all use cases, I would recommend using two zones in a single guest Solaris VM vs two guest Solaris VMs. That would be a more efficient usage of resources and have several other advantages.

Of course, if the physical host is already running Solaris, I would probably not recommend running VMs at all but simply zones so my opinion is only relevant if the hardware is running another OS than Solaris.

Mate sorry to say but oracle is killing Solaris ... may better learn redhat :frowning:

1 Like

And ?
Oracle made big mistake when he decided to leave old school SystemV packaging and started with IPS. I don't know too much about IPS but mr. Larry says IPS and Jumpstart will work with zones.
Solaris is one of best OS today available and some corporations will continue to use no matter how much costs, for me Illumos project is the future :smiley: