how to know my serial port is communicating and running fine

i want to know that my serial port ( pci slot with 2 port ) is working fine and communicating

is there any way to know the serialport is working and communicating?
please help

Attach a serial device? in your former similar post you asked to know which port is which and spoke of a modem. Might want to look up "cu" in the man page for sending AT commands to your modem, for example.

Edit:
Also a simple search on Google with "configuration modem aix" returns a page like this:
http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl.jsp?id=241

How about set up a "getty" process to listen on it and present a login prompt?

Put something like this in /etc/inittab, then "telinit q":

tty1:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty1
tty2:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty2

---------- Post updated at 10:49 ---------- Previous update was at 10:48 ----------

Then, of course, use a serial console to see whether you can see a login prompt.

If i put the lines in inittab file what do i have to do now shall i connect serial cable from AIX to the PC and configure hyperterminal?

---------- Post updated at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:24 AM ----------

I tried to configure modem according to the following document but the following error occured

The output of slattach connand is as follows.
what is the solution

# slattach tty1 38400 '"" ATZ OK ""'
strload: cannot load /usr/lib/drivers/slip: Cannot run a file that does not have a valid format.
slattach: 0821-300 ifconfig command must be run for this tty before slattach can be run.
# slattach tty1
strload: cannot load /usr/lib/drivers/slip: Cannot run a file that does not have a valid format.
slattach: 0821-300 ifconfig command must be run for this tty before slattach can be run.