How to know full width blade or half width blade?

HI,

How do we figure out if the server is half blade server or full blade server?

Anything we need to look at to know on this?

thanks in advance

First question is what hardware is this? Manufacturer?

In your title you use the expression "half width" and "full width" blade. AFAIK only CISCO use that terminology. I might be wrong on that though.

Server blades are usually half-height or full-height.

So what make of kit are we talking?

The HP proliant blades.

Lets say the server is - HP ProLiant BL620c Generation 7 (G7); how do we know if its half blade or full blade?

I am also confused.
Although blade server size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, blade servers are characterized as full height or half height. The height aspect refers to how much space a blade server occupies within a chassis.
Thus, this is not a unix question as much as a question that should be directed to the manufacturer - in this case, HP.

1 Like

joeyg is correct - size of the chassis and how much rack space it uses are the criteria.

HP calls it the form factor and all blades seem to have the same form factor?

ProLiant Servers | Hewlett Packard Enterprise� United States

Thanks all for the response. This makes sense now.. and I believe the memory/DIMMs will also be different in both case then. Half will have less and full have more.

This may be (i do not know PC hardware at all), but not necessarily so. The two things. height and number of DIMM sockets are not related at all.

I hope that helps.

bakunin

While I can't answer the question directly, whoever manages the blade servers should be able to say how each server is configured. You can then create files under /etc for example that list all of the relevant features of the configuration for that blade server. Then if you write shell scripts that need to know something about what kind of server they are running on you can figure that out by looking at the file you create under /etc.

Having said that regardless of whether or not a server is a full or half blade, you can figure out how much total memory, free memory, number of cores, free disk space, etc for each server. So if you have a script that will use resources depending on what resources are available, you might not need to know if it is a full or half blade server.

Thanks again to all of the responses....