How to install AIX 5 on 9133-55a?

hello everyone :smiley:
i'm new to AIX and i loved it the moment i saw an AIX admin who came to where i work to install an AIX server for an ERP project, i loved it so much that i bought the old server in my company

my server is 9133-55a
the server has no graphic card, and i cant use HMC

how can i install AIX 5 useing serial port to USB? fresh install want to wipe all data on it
PS: after booking the server it beeps 2 times and on the green LCD i see this message "invalid LPAR par"

I suspect that it still has old LPAR configuration in it.

If the console panel says HMC=0 somewhere on it, then it is still looking for an HMC. Instead you want it to look something like this:

01     N    V=F
            T   

Again, if you see HMC=0 then you need to do a factory reset (HMC=1 means an HMC is connected, HMC=0 means system knows about HMC's but none are connected).

I have some "ancient" youtube films - not the highest picture quality, and silent! - but these two should help you out.

Note: with ASMI you can do the actions on either the serial port OR via a browser (connected via the HMC labeled ports - these are to the SP - Service Processor).

Initial setup of ASMI on IBM POWER - YouTube Setup IP address via Serial Port
p5 factory reset - YouTube Factory Reset

Hope this helps!

first of all thank you MichaelFelt

i tried to many times to connect to ASMI using serial port to USB but no luck i get only a black screen on putty

i tried ASMI from HMC i managed to login on ip 192.168.2.1X i changed the NIC ip and tryd to ssh i couldn't logint, so i tried to go back to ASMI using the old ip i couldn't

so i gave up on that and installed HMC on vmware, HMC working fine, but i cant add the server to HMC because i don't know it ip address or host name.

i know there is a button to rest the HMC ip address on the server but i looked for it couldn't find it.

any advice?

I have to look deep in memory.

The default address is 192.168.2.147 if I recall correctly - on eth0 (HMC0)
The second interface might still be "unused" at default DHCP - 192.168.3.147

Note: their default is to use DHCP, so if you have a DHCP server you could attach both ports and watch what address the DHCP server assigns.
USB PC to serial? What speeds did you try? I think it needs to be 19200, 8bits,, no parity, 1 stop bit.

For the IP address with Power7 (and maybe Power6) follow: IBM

Although this link also gives the 169.254.2.147 as default address for Power5 and Power6.

Found some old embedded texts: the POWER5 defaults MAY be 192.168.2.147 or 192.168.3.147

And they may be still using DHCP to connect. In that case, get your HMC (virtual) setup to be a DHCP server and provide a direct line between HMC and Power system.. The HMC should "discover" - by assigning it - the IP address of the POWER system.

Good luck with the password for account admin.