How to initialize tape drive

Hi all

Just connected a SCSI tape drive to our ScoUnix server running Unixware 7.0.1. The ID assigned to it is 3.

When I open ArcServe it is saying that tape drive is not found and I cannot configure it.

How can I make the tape drive accessible to the system?

Thanks!

Hello Ramon82.

Two thoughts on your tape drive issue.

1. Did you do a "sudo sconf -v" to make sure the tape drive is being recognized by the OS? You said you saw an ID of 3 so I think it is.

2. We use edgemenu on our sco boxes. When I install a new tape drive I go into "edgemenu-->Admin-->Autodetect New Devices" to detect the new tape drive.

I tried the command but it says that it does not exist. Please bear in mind that our version is very old (1998).

Also the edgemenu is n/a....

There is no longer any documentation on SCO's web site about 7.0. What make/model host adapter is the drive attached to?
Have you run dcu to detect the drive?
Unixware is quite uncommon, as the vast majority of licenses were sold to a small number of customers for point of sale applications.
Mikep, I think that he means that the scsi id is 3, which he sees during POST.

Hi all since I posted this thread, I had replaced the drive with a brand new DDS4 drive to eliminate the possibility that the drive is defective. Still having problems..

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7740/newpicture001.jpg

As you can see in the picture, an error is being returned. Any suggestions?

Thanks!