How to increase capacity?

Hello everybody, is a very simple question how can I increase the capacity of a disk wich is on a DS4300?, I have done the procedure on the Storage Manager but the space is the same on the AIX (5.3) , what should I do to obtain the new ammount of disk space?

chvg -g VGName

Jim Hirschauer

hirschaj:

Thanks for your help, i found in another place this information:

...then increased the capacity through Storage Manager on the FAStT device by adding another disk. I got the message as above, but went ahead
and added the disk. Once it completed, on the AIX host, I ran;

cfgmgr - it indicated an hdisk had increased in size...

chvg -g testvg - examine all disks in the vg to see if they have
grown and attempt to add additional PPs to PV.
lspv hdiskn - showed the proper increase in size of the PV.

do you think is correct?

In another hand I searched on rootvg the command list and make a little brief about the chvg command, and make the note that maybe I will have to run the varyon and varyoff commands. in your experience, how offen occurs this?

Thanks again!!!

I have never had to run the chvg -g command. The list above looks fine to me. I would suspect that you will have to varyoff and varyon, but the system should let you know. I would not try to do this during normal production hours, and I would make sure to have good backups.

Jim Hirschauer

OK is fne for me.

Thanks for your help.

Good Luck!!

Hi, Did the steps above work out ok for you. I have to do exactly the same thing one one of my systems, but running AIX 5.2 ML6.

When I ran this procedure, it was no so easy as in the top descibres. I added the space on the DS4300, then I had to run the chvg -g command and nothing happens. So... try after the chvg command, with the varyoff and varyon commands, it should be OK.

Regards

Thanks very much for the information.

For a Virtual Server (VIO) environment, I had to recreate the virtual device for the representative hdisk before I could get the additional space recognized on the AIX lpar.

AIX lpar1:
unmount fs
varyoffvg datavg
exportvg datavg
rmdev -dl hdisk1

VIO:
rmvdev the target device "rmvdev -vtd lpar1_hdisk1"
mkvdev the target device "mkvdev -vdev hdisk10 -vadapter vhost2 -dev lpar1_hdisk1"

AIX lpar1:
cfgmgr
importvg -y datavg hdisk1 (got the "appear to have grown in size" message this time)
chvg -g datavg

that is all

venatorm:

I also have the VIO environment and am trying to increase the size of an existing LPAR volume (AIX 5.3). But, I don't have the 'rmvdev' command in either the padmin or root user environments (I have rmdev, but no rmvdev, and neither of the rmdev commands take a '-vtd' argument ???). Is your rmvdev command a script or an extension or something? If so, can you share it?

Thanks,

Jon

I am running VIO 1.2 (ioslevel from padmin) and the command shows up under "Device commands" when I run "help". I do run 'rmvdev' from padmin.

I suppose if your version is older (or newer), you really just need to determine how to delete the target virtual disk device and then recreate it to get the size change to be recognized.

Thank you for the great information, i have a question regarding the mkdev command.

Venatorm wrote:
mkvdev the target device "mkvdev -vdev hdisk10 -vadapter vhost2 -dev lpar1_hdisk1"
End of his comments:

How do i find the vhost2 information? or what command shows a list of all the hosts.

Thanks

disregard
lsdev is what i was looking for.
Thanks

on a vio run the
lsmapp -all

you can grep or more it, it might be a tad long the the details. however if you are doing a rmvdev etc you will save your self a big hasle to keep this hostnumber around. :slight_smile:

I think allocating another LUN is way better than increasing the size of the LUN and jumping into trouble. After it is presented to the host you can always get it into the VG and use it for any filesystems.

I think i have heard that. At this time the other way is the only method i know how to do. :frowning:
-KJ

i have same problem, shell don't know command rmvdev. I solve this problem by using rmdev -dev VTDname.