How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all,

I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel\):

1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins

So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3? Naturally I can't ssh to it and the box is in the server room, which I don't have access to :frowning:

Could you suggest what I can do?

Many many thanks,

Dave

try

runlevel n

where n is the desired runlevel you want.

Hey gaurav1086, thanks for the reply.

But how to I connect to the machine? I can't remotely access it and I can't go into the server room.

Dave

"But how to I connect to the machine? I can't remotely access it and I can't go into the server room."
Can you break into the room? just kidding. hehe.
means you are talking about mofidifying anything thats like somewhere as a moon to you. Unreachable??

Ah alright. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow and tell the server admins. Thanks for your help.

Yes, you will have to wait. There is no magic that can make this work. You have essentially parachuted out of the airplane, but can't fall upward back in.

I like the explanation and thanks for the reply :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully the admins tomorrow can help me get back on board.

Dave

Look into console over serial (/dev/ttyS0), as this is the best method that I've found to assist with issues like this when we get into them :wink:

Hello dnbert,

I just came back from the server room; plugged in the monitor and keyboard. Seems that the problem was not from "init 1". The box actually hanged during reboot when I typed the command.

So a hard reboot took care of the problem.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave